On 9/25/2014 12:10 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
 > I think Microsoft's C++/CLI tried that mixed pointer approach, and it was a
disaster. I don't have personal knowledge of this.
C++ doesn't have any notion of borrowing. Scope can (will?) fix a whole lot of
existing problems, and also allow RC -> raw pointers work nicely.

Consider that people complain a lot about annotations. See the other thread. Adding the scope annotations everywhere is a LOT of annotations. Do you think people will be happy with that? I don't.

I remember reading a paper about someone adding pointer annotations to Java. It was a technical success, and a usability failure. People just couldn't be bothered to add the annotations.