On Monday, 29 September 2014 at 08:18:29 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
Right now, but some time ago there was a huge debate whether it should
be valid for the compiler to optimize based on asserts.

I wonder if these 'use asserts for stack traces' and 'an assert is always supposed to pass, so it's valid to assume the condition holds (in release)' notions can go together. I guess it might at least lead
to programs that are unusable when compiled with -release.

For this reason I think it makes more sense to use abort() if you plan to use "-release".