On 2014-10-05 17:08, Marco Leise wrote:

Nice, finally someone who actually wants to discern Exception
types. I'm always at a loss as to what warrants its own
exception type.

Yeah, that can be quite difficult. In the end, if you have a good exception hierarchy I don't think it will hurt to have many different exception types.

E.g. when looking at network protocols, would
a 503 be a NetworkException, a HTTPException or a
HTTPInternalServerErrorException ?

For this specific case I would probably have one general exception for all HTTP error codes.

Where do *you* wish libraries would differentiate?

I would like to have as specific exception type as possible. Also a nice hierarchy of exception when catching a specific exception is not interesting. Instead of just a FileException there could be FileNotFoundException, PermissionDeniedExcepton and so on.

Or does it really come down to categories like "illegal
argument", "division by zero", "null pointer", "out of memory"
for you?

--
/Jacob Carlborg