On Sunday, 5 October 2014 at 16:18:33 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 10/5/14, 8:56 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
I would like to have as specific exception type as possible. Also a nice hierarchy of exception when catching a specific exception is not
interesting. Instead of just a FileException there could be
FileNotFoundException, PermissionDeniedExcepton and so on.

Exceptions are all about centralized error handling. How, and how often, would you handle FileNotFoundException differently than PermissionDeniedException?

Andrei

While precise formalization of the principle is hard I think this comment nails it in general. When defining exceptions hierarchies it makes sense to think about it in terms of "what code is likely to catch it and why?" and not "what this code should throw?". Dedicated exception type only makes sense if it is a common to catch it separately, any additional details can be stored as runtime field (like status code for HTTPStatusException)