On 10/9/2014 10:31 AM, Dicebot wrote:
On Thursday, 9 October 2014 at 16:33:53 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
I think Walter sometimes suggested that it would be valid for a
compiler to not unwind Errors at all (in release mode), but simply kill
the program and dump a error message. This would finally allow us to
optimize nothrow functions.

I think this is reasonable in general but as long as assert throws Error and
assert is encouraged to be used in unittest blocks such implementation would
mark compiler as unusable for me.

All assert actually does is call a function in druntime. You can override and insert your own assert handling function, and have it do as you need. It was deliberately designed that way.

We may need to have another look at what is truly an Error and what is not
before going that path.

This involves making some hard decisions, but is worthwhile.