On 10/14/14, 3:53 PM, Meta wrote:
On Tuesday, 14 October 2014 at 22:27:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
Currently, D supports C++:

* function calling
* name mangling
* namespaces
* templates
* member functions
* single inheritance
* basic types that exist in C++ but not D (like 'long')

Note that there are no plans to support C++ semantics - the D side
will support only D semantic rules. SFINAE, Koenig lookup, etc., have
no place in D.

C++ interop will require the user to be flexible on both the C++ and D
side, and bluntly will require strong knowledge of D and C++ and how
they work under the hood to be successful with it.

Probably the most tricky thing we're working on is interop with C++
exceptions.

Essentially, we're going to see how far we can push interop.

To clarify, templates have to be instantiated on the C++ side before
being passed to D, right? Is it correct that D can't instantiate a C++
template?

Correct. Here's the syntax on the C++ side: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C++11#Extern_template -- Andrei