On Thursday, 13 November 2014 at 09:36:20 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
On Thursday, 13 November 2014 at 00:58:41 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/12/microsoft-makes-visual-studio-free-for-small-teams/

This is good news for D! It lowers the bar for writing 64 bit D code on Windows, and it also enables us to abandon support for versions of VS prior to 2013.

Actually I think it makes the life harder to earn Windows developers hearts for D, specially with .NET Native around the corner (it will come in Windows 10).

Free Visual Studio + C#/F# + SIMD + .NET Native is a very enticing proposal.

I would have a very hard time to convince any of our customers to use D instead.

--
Paulo

Exactly my thoughts... also syntax sugar, compiled language was such a big argument to people use D instead of. But C# as an open source language (so the guys from UNIXes around can move to it) and native language, the C++ guys are going to move from C++ to C# not D. I don't know, but I'm not sure if this open source is good for D community.

And yeah I know there's Mono and it's open source from day 1. But it's the MS implementation.