On 11/16/2014 12:44 PM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dl...@gmail.com>" wrote:
On Sunday, 16 November 2014 at 20:26:36 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
If you read my article, the fix does not take away anything.

Yes, but that is just what all other languages had at the time, so leaving it
out was obviously deliberate. I assume they wanted a very simple model where
each parameter could fit in a register.

Since structs were supported, this rationale does not work.

I've worked enough with C to know that these arguments do not hold up in real
code.
But you have to admit that older CPUS/tight RAM does have an effect? Even 8086
have dedicated string instructions with the ability to terminate on zero (REPNZ)

Remember that I wrote successful C and C++ compilers for 16 bit 8086 machines, and programmed on it for a decade. I know about those instructions, and I'm familiar with the tradeoffs. It's not worth it.

Besides, C was designed for the PDP-11, which had no such instructions.