On Wednesday, 19 November 2014 at 01:35:19 UTC, Alo Miehsof Datsørg wrote:
On Tuesday, 18 November 2014 at 23:48:27 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 11/18/2014 1:23 PM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dl...@gmail.com>" wrote:
I am arguing against the position that it was a design mistake to keep the semantic model simple and with few presumptions. On the contrary, it was the design goal. Another goal for a language like C is ease of implementation so
that you can easily port it to new hardware.

The proposals I made do not change that in any way, and if K&R designed C without those mistakes, it would have not made C more complex in the slightest.

VLAs have been available in gcc for a long time. They are not useless, I've used
them from time to time.

I know you're simply being argumentative when you defend VLAs, a complex and useless feature, and denigrate simple ptr/length pairs as complicated.

Argumentative ?!! More like a fucking gaping fucking asshole. His
posts are the blight of this group.

Wow that's uncalled for.

I don't always agree with Ola but his posts are rarely uninformed and often backed up with actual code examples or links supoprting his arguments. They generally lead to very interesting discussions on the forum.

Cheers,
uri