On Sunday, 16 November 2014 at 22:19:16 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
My view is of a "kind of" portable macro assembler, even MASM and TASM were more feature rich back in the day.

Actually I remember reading a DDJ article about a Texas Instruments Assembler that looked like C, just with one simple expression per line.

So you could not do

a = b + c * 4;

rather

r0 = b
r1 = c
r1 *= 4
r0 += r1

Just an idea, I don't remember any longer how it actually was.

Not such a bad idea if you can blend it with regular assembly mnemonics. When I did the course in machine near programming university I believe I chose to do the exam in Motorola 68000 machine language because I found it no harder than C at the timeā€¦(?) I surely would not have done the same with the x86 instruction set though.