On Thursday, 4 December 2014 at 14:40:10 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
On Thursday, 4 December 2014 at 14:25:52 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
I rather pay for just one instance.

That depends. What makes Go and Python attractive on AppEngine is the fast spin up time, you only pay for 15 minutes, and it scales up to 100 instances transparently. With java you need multiple idle instances 24/7 because the spin up is slow.

Honestly, I could never see an use for Python outside shell scripting.

Not having static typing is a weakness, but not as bad as I thought it would be when you learn how to deal with it.

Dropbox likes Python enough to develop a JIT for it according to this blog:

https://tech.dropbox.com/2014/04/introducing-pyston-an-upcoming-jit-based-python-implementation/

So I'd say it all depends.

PyPy has now 10 year of research spent into it, and it still doesn't support all Python features.

I am aware of Dropbox efforts. Lets see if they go Unladen Swallow direction or not.