On Sunday, 14 December 2014 at 00:45:06 UTC, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On 13 December 2014 at 15:11, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d

A function template is a function that takes both compile-time args and run-time args. C++ tried to make them completely different animals, when they are not. Don't think "template", think "compile-time argument to a function". I convinced Andrei to never mention "template" in his D book, as it brings forth all kinds of connotations and expectations that impede understanding what D templates actually are. I think the result was successful.

You can spin it however you like, but it's exactly the same thing. They are completely different animals. A function template is not a function at all until it's instantiated. When it's instantiated, it becomes a function, or even, one of a suite of functions. And it's not known to the author where the function is. (Note: I define 'function' in this context to mean 'some code that is emitted')

Philippe Sigaud Excellent "D Templates: A Tutorial"...
the MANTRA...

"XXX templates are not XXXs, they are templates. With XXX being any of (function, struct, class, interface, union)."

---
/Paolo