On Wednesday, 17 December 2014 at 15:01:32 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 December 2014 at 10:16:22 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 18:06:25 +1000
Manu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

I'd suggest to look at high-quality commercial documentation,
like MSDN or wherever.
please, no! the fact that you are used to it doesn't mean that
msdn is a quality dox.

Frankly, I think you're letting your prejudices against the source of the documentation cloud your judgement of the quality. Much as I hate to admit it, their _reference_ documentation is much more readable at the baseline.

Yep, MSDN is pretty good. I often end up there when other sources fail. They are also quite good at documenting what version you need to use a feature.

_less noisy_. This is what we mean when we talk about "quality" in documentation. Hell, a lot of CPAN docs are easier to follow than the Phobos stuff, and that's _Perl_ for crissakes!

I'd like to see the phobos documentation in a XML format. That would make it a lot easier to parse, analyse and generate improved extended documentation.

aside a chunk of time to "learn" it is really silly. But it's not as silly as the idea that you don't learn the language by diving in. You know, by using it (and the standard library) to solve a problem? This is simply how people pick up new programming languages.

Commented code in tutorials and a collection of short idiomatic examples + good reference documentation with fast-easy-and-precise lookup goes a long way.

It's more akin to the Haskell reaction: "This seems neat, but it's asking way too much of me and I don't have time for it."

Yep, that is how I felt about Haskell when using the interpreter many years ago, but this:

https://tryhaskell.org/

is enough to get me beyond the initial "headache" that the weirder aspects of Haskell may cause (such as the function signatures).

Such interactive walk-throughs of the basics are really useful if you want to ease the learning curve in a fun way.