On Friday, 19 December 2014 at 02:53:02 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
On 19/12/2014 10:19 a.m., Kingsley wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 December 2014 at 21:05:05 UTC, Kingsley wrote:

Hi Bruno,

Thanks very much. I do have a couple of questions about DDT in
relation to my plugin.

Firstly - I'm not too familiar with parsing/lexing but at the moment
the Psi Structure I have implemented that comes from the DDT
parser/lexer is not in any kind of hierarchy. All the PsiElements are available but all at the same level. Is this how the DDT parser works? Or is it down to my implementation of the Parser/Lexer that
wraps it to create some hierarchy.

For intellij it's going to be vastly easier to have a hierarchy with nested elements in order to get hold of a structure representing a class or a function for example - in order to do things like get the start and end lines of a class definition in order to apply code
folding and to use for searching for classes and stuff.

Secondly - how active it the development of DDT - does it keep up
with the D2 releases.

--Kingsley

After doing a bit more research it looks like I have to create the psi hierarchy myself - my current psi structure is flat because I'm just converting the DeeTokens into PsiElements directly. I've still got some experimentation to do. On the plus side I implemented commenting,
code folding but everything else needs a psi hierarchy

I've done some more investigation and I do need to build the parser myself in order to create the various constructs. I've made a start but I haven't gotten very far yet because I don't fully understand the
correct way to proceed.

I also had a look at using the DeeParser - because it already does most of what I want. However the intellij plugin wants a PsiParser which returns an intellij ASTNode in the primary parse method. I can't see an easy way to hook this up with DeeParser because the ParsedResult although had a node method on it - gives back the wrong type of ASTNode.

Any pointers on how I might get the DeeParser to interface to an
intellij ASTNode would be appreciated.

Read my codebase again, it'll answer a lot of questions. Your parser is different, but what it produces shouldn't be. and yes it supports hierarchies.

Hi

So finally after a lot of wrestling with the internals of intellij I finally managed to get a working parser implementation that produces a psi hierarchy based on the DeeParser from the ddt code.

The main issue was that Intellij only wants you to create a parser using their toolset - which is either with a BNF grammar that you can then generate the parser - or with a hand written parser. Since I'm already using the DDT lexer and there is a perfectly good DDT parser as well - I just wanted to re-use the DDT parser.

However Intellij does not provide any way to create a custom AST/PSI structure or use an external parser. So I basically had to wrap the DeeParse inside the Intellij parser and sync them up programmatically. It's not the most efficient way in the world but it at least works.

In the long term I will write a BNF grammar for Intellij (using their toolkit) but I can see that will take me several months so this is a quick way to get the plugin up and running with all the power of intellij extras without spending several months stuck learning all about the complexities of grammar parsing and lexing.

Thanks very much for you help. Once I get a bit more of the cool stuff done I will release the plugin.