On Saturday, 3 January 2015 at 08:41:44 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 1/2/2015 9:27 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
I feel like your resistance of comprehensive scope is some part
emotional, some part anecdotal... but little or not parts
experimentally based.
You appear to 'fear' what it would do... and maybe you have the
experience to judge that better than me, but I just can't see it!

Hardly anyone understood DIP69, and that one is very simple compared to a comprehensive ownership system.

Does this mean that D is not going to get a comprehensive ownership system in a later edition (like D3)?

Because if that is not on the roadmap then I think you need to spend a lot more effort on getting an efficient precise GC if you want D to survive.

Propose a design. I suggest, though, that if it was half as easy as you say, it would already exist in multiple languages. It's not like nobody thought of it before.

How about making all functions that take references/pointers templates and define protocols for relaying information to the compiler? I know Manu will hate that, but are you against it?