Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Walter Bright wrote:
Justin Johansson wrote:
Walter, in the heat of this thread I hope you haven't missed the correlation with discussion
on "Dispatching on a variant" and noting:

Thanks for pointing it out. The facilities in D enable one to construct a non-nullable type, and they are appropriate for many designs.

No. There is no means to disable default construction.

I looked into this slightly. You'd have to do mark non-nullable fields as requiring ctor initialization, prevent reallocating arrays of non-nullables, and a few other things. At the time I wasn't considering struct constructors; without them, you'd have to forbid structs that contain non-nullable fields, but with them, it's okay.

I just don't see them as a replacement for *all* reference types.

Non-nullable references should be the default.