On 2015-01-23 11:31, aldanor wrote:
Hi all, I've started redesigning dlang.org AGAIN (yea, I know...). The
front page is mostly done aside from a several responsiveness and
platform quirks, I will have the full landing page + a random sample
page from the docs this weekend. On the technical side, rapid design +
ddoc and working with pure css don't work well together, so it's going
to be a static page or two and if/when everyone/anyone's happy with it,
it can be pulled apart into those fugly ddoc macros. An easy example of
why that's the case would be changing the color scheme or general
styling of multiple components -- in sass/less you can just do a
"@active-component: darken(@martian-red, 5%);" and that will fix all the
inherited ones across the stylesheet. Same applies to reorganizing
content in drastic ways. If using node as a dependency to compile assets
is acceptable, this would sure the preferred way; otherwise, the
compiled assets could be frozen/minified and checked back in. More about
design-specific stuff later in another post.

For Sass there's libsass [1] with bindings already available [2]. For running JavaScript (Less) there are a couple of alternatives:

* Google V8
* Mozilla Rhino
* Apple JavaScriptCore - Included with Mac OS X
* Microsoft Windows Script Host (JScript)
* DMDScript [3]

In the Ruby world there's a gem that automatically chooses the best scripting host depending on the platform.

[1] http://libsass.org
[2] http://forum.dlang.org/thread/hdbsilimsxzhlruth...@forum.dlang.org
[3] http://code.dlang.org/packages/dmdscript

--