On Friday, 23 January 2015 at 17:41:21 UTC, Zach the Mystic wrote:
Basically, I suggest consciously addressing these four demographics in designing the site:

1. Experienced programmers, new to D.

2. Beginning programmers.

3. Experienced D users.

4. The community. Publications, social events, news chatter.
Agreed.

I personally think #1 is the most troublesome (although all four points will need to be addressed). E.g., Ali's book is more aimed at #2, whereas most other resources are more aimed at #3. There has to be a "I know how to code, give me some D already, now!" sort of a brief guide which would introduce you to the COOL parts that are different in D or that make it stand out. An experienced programmer could just jump into metaprogramming part right away because it's FUN... but that usually doesn't come until page 500 of the book...

Regarding #4, I don't think anyone would support my highly subjective opinion because everyone's used to how things are, but here goes anyway: (1) mailing lists are too 90s, there exist many modern platforms that are better suitable for modern web and mobile, the current forum is actually a heroic attempt to make something usable out of a mailing list but that's that. No syntax highlighting, no editing? Come on... (2) bugzilla is too unfriendly; using github issues for review queues, milestone tracking, bug tracking, issue tracking and referencing would be easier than scattering all that across 4 different websites (that aren't updated anyway). I have found a good amount of bugs in my D experience but I'm guilty of not submitting a single one because I don't feel like making an account on bugzilla -- and I'm not planning too, it instantly repulses me as soon as I open the page; plus it's unintuitive to browse, contains outdated issues and just feels foreign in general.