On 1/23/15 8:59 AM, Wyatt wrote:
On Thursday, 22 January 2015 at 19:37:11 UTC, weaselcat wrote:
Might be of use to someone, but I was looking for ways to speed up
dmd's albeit already fast compilation times.

Just by dropping in jemalloc in place of glibc's malloc via LD_PRELOAD
on my linux machine I saw a 10-15% drop in compilation times across
the board. Not sure if this is common knowledge or not.

Might be interesting to try some other implementations, too? TCMalloc[0]
and nedmalloc[1] at least have permissive licenses. (Hoard[2] and
Lockless[3] also seem interesting, but are GPL or worse.)

-Wyatt

[0] Part of gperf-tools https://code.google.com/p/gperftools/
[1] http://www.nedprod.com/programs/portable/nedmalloc/index.html
[2] http://www.hoard.org/
[3] http://locklessinc.com/downloads/

Definitely measurements should help. From the many measurements we've run at Facebook, jemalloc would be overall a good bet. Also I work with Jason Evans so if there are issues we want improved I might ask him :o). -- Andrei