On 1/26/2015 1:25 PM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
The lexer would recognize these attributes as normal ID tokens. The grammar
could be amended to allow a function to be decorated with keywords and generic
id tokens.  Then the meaning of those tokens would be handled by semantic
analysis.

Not going to do that.

So the result would be that the lexer would see "nogc" and "safe" as
normal id tokens (not keywords) which would be consumed as function attributes
by the grammar.  As far as I can tell this results in the best of both worlds.
We can omit the '@' character on function attributes like safe and nogc but they
don't have to be added as keywords.

I strongly dislike context sensitive tokens, whether or not they are done by the lexer or the parser or the semantic analysis.

It's like using a nail for a cotter pin.