On Monday, 26 January 2015 at 21:41:31 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
On Monday, 26 January 2015 at 21:28:14 UTC, Foo wrote:
On Monday, 26 January 2015 at 21:25:57 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
On Monday, 26 January 2015 at 21:12:50 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 1/26/2015 12:45 PM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
Just because they are function attributes does not mean
they were tokenized as "keywords".

The lexer has no idea what a function attribute is or that now it should be looking for attributes and then it should not be.

I feel like I keep repeating myself so I'm just going to copy/paste.

If the grammar supported decorating a function with a list of id
tokens (not just keywords), then you could implement a variation
on the c++ solution of allowing "override" and "final" after a
function signature.

The lexer would recognize these attributes as normal ID tokens. The grammar could be amended to allow a function to be decorated with keywords and generic id tokens. Then the meaning of those tokens would be handled by semantic analysis. So the result would be that the lexer would see "nogc" and "safe" as normal id tokens (not keywords) which would be consumed as function attributes by the grammar. As far as I can tell this results in the best of both worlds. We can omit the '@' character on function attributes like safe and nogc but they don't have to be added as keywords.

Right. That's was what I meant.
Same thing could be possible for body...

Ya same thing applies to "body". I'm surprised no one has given a reason why it wasn't done this way.

Because you/we are community members and therefore "second-class citizens". If we suggest or discuss something, it is not that important. But if a small reddit post is made, it matters more. Look what happend to auto ref for non templates: community wants it but we don't get it.