On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 23:36:29 +0000, deadalnix wrote:

> On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 23:22:34 UTC, ketmar wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 18:54:27 +0000, Zach the Mystic wrote:
>>
>>> I think a keyword is a keyword is a keyword. If it's a keyword to the
>>> right it should be one everywhere. How is somethign that's a built-in
>>> attribute one place and an identifier in another not context
>>> sensitive.
>>
>> yep. that is "slave to the machine" approach. i don't really care how
>> hard machine should work to understand what i want. ;-)
>>
>> i.e. i can't see why i have to deal with problems of
>> compiler/tool/editor author. it's easy -- at least in this case -- for
>> human to see where keywords are keywords. machine can see that too with
>> some analysis. yet somehow situation is horribly reversed: instead of
>> machine helping me to do what i want, that's me who must obey the
>> machine orders and do the work that machine can do for me.
>
> That is a retarded mindset. It is not about how hard it is for the
> machine, but for tool writer.
>
> I know many people look down on java, but quite frankly, the tooling is
> just way better than pretty much anything else. One could argue this is
> because of corporate support, but other languages like C++ also have
> important corporate support. And still, C++ tooling mostly suck.
> Honestly, pretty anything except C# tooling suck in comparison.
>
> The problem of the tool writer is your problem, because any tool that
> isn't written is work you need to yourself. And then who's the slave to
> the machine ?

and there are at least 4 available codebases for writing tools. for C++
there is DMD frontend. for D there is dscanner, magicport and SDC. yet
instead of thinking how all that code can help me and made my life
better, i should think how making my life harder will help to write great
tools somewhere in the future. that is what i call "retarded mindset".