On 2/23/15 10:27 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Monday, 23 February 2015 at 18:16:38 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
The typechecker must WHILE COMPILING WIDGET, NOT ITS CLIENT know
whether getName() is okay or not.

Aye, I haven't been following this thread closely, but I thought of this
case a while ago myself and it actually led me to the belief that the
this pointer needs to be scope unless the class itself is designed
solely for GC use; escaping anything through it must not be allowed for
guaranteed memory safety if it is manually freed in any form, whether
refcounting, RAII, or free.

If this is scope, then the usage site has freedom of deallocation
method. If not, it must be known at design time of the class itself.

That's exactly right. There should be a DConf talk about that, apparently it's a widely misunderstood topic. -- Andrei