On Saturday, 7 March 2015 at 07:33:03 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
On Fri, 2015-03-06 at 11:30 +0000, via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]

Not sure what you mean by a "non-browser UI". You need a model, a layout engine, a composition engine and know-how. Competing with browser engines is a lot of work.

I meant a user interface not using a browser as the infrastructure. Cocoa, Qt, GTK, JavaFX, etc. are all there already, and have everything browsers are still trying to get. I agree the pressure of fashion and orthodoxy is moving to HTML and JavaScript as the one true UI framework, but it's only real positive is that it is (supposed to be) pre-installed and the same on every machine. Sadly though, from what I can see, vast amounts of code and time is spent dealing with the differences between
browsers.

It is going to be very hard to compete with reusable UI components implemented in html+javascript, when they have worked out the quirks, due to:

1. ease of development
2. ease of modification
3. volume of UI components
4. styling know-how
5. integration
6. installed base

HTML and Javascript may have an edge on ease of deployment, but
regarding the other dimensions, I fear you must have imbibed of the Kool-Aid. I agree that most people creating UIs do so with browsers, HTML and JS, but that doesn't mean they are doing it right or not blindly recreating from scratch a whole mass of things that were already known. We would be a lot further forward today on UI and UX if people in the Web arena had researched more and taken NIH attitudes less. Clearly new technology and new application require new things, but simply
ignoring already known stuff is just wrong.

I'm the first who would welcome a better approach to UIs. However, in the real world you cannot wait until the industry finally "gets it". You cannot tell users "Yeah, no, we won't make an app, because we are not happy with existing frameworks, you know".

I hate JS for various reasons, one reason is that HTML5/JS makes you reinvent the wheel again and again. However, while reinventing the wheel, it helps you to understand that existing frameworks are not the be all end all either.

What you need is a reactive layer that access native data. And webtech provides the basic building blocks for it, thanks to the requirements of asm.js/pnacl.