On Saturday, 7 March 2015 at 11:16:44 UTC, ponce wrote:
On Saturday, 7 March 2015 at 10:04:21 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 21:22:31 UTC, rumbu wrote:
Anyway, it's clear for me that the age of native controls is history. Today interfaces are described in markup languages, the OS is responsible to render it, there is a clear separation between the user interface and the code behind.

Markup is just a frontend, it can work with anything. In fact, history only returned to where it started: UI was described in DSL since early versions of Windows (resources), you couldn't waste RAM on UI-building code, instead OS was instructed to read dialog resource and build the window for you, the resource was discarded right away, every byte was counted.

Oh so it was for RAM reasons.
I've always wondered why it was that way for MFC. Since then I much prefer UI-building code.

MFC has an interesting background.

I always favoured OWL and VCL, which had a more C++ friendly programming model than what MFC does.

Apparently Microsoft did a poor job making a similar framework and from AFX ashes, MFC was born. Hence the Afx prefix.

http://computer-programming-forum.com/82-mfc/d13ea80282846f9f.htm

So we had to wait until Windows 8, to have finally something similar to VCL, via XAML/C++.

--
Paulo