On 3/12/2015 11:57 PM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
How about lining up some features for removal.

Easier said than done. I've proposed a couple things for removal, but got a lot of pushback. Some things have been successfully removed:

. octal literals
. 'bit' data type
. builtin complex numbers
. NCEG floating point comparison
. typedef
. local operators new & delete

C++, Fortran, and Java are big, complicated languages, that keep getting
bigger and more complicated because of the obsession with backward
compatibility. D is already a big, complicated language. If people like
straighforward (not necessarily simple) languages, then the inference is
quite easy.

Has any language been successful at abandoning their user base (i.e. existing code)? Going from D1 to D2 nearly destroyed D. I'm not eager to try that again.