On Friday, 13 March 2015 at 00:20:40 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
A friend of mine needed to complete a small project and thought of using a language he didn't know for it.

Come to think of it, this reminds me of a different post I saw recently by the author of a certain famous(?) PHP roast:
http://eev.ee/blog/2015/02/28/sylph-the-programming-language-i-want/

D doesn't hit it out of the park on every point, but I think it's pleasingly close overall. Unfortunately, D wasn't on the author's radar at all. Didn't even get mentioned until the comments, and it's not really encouraging even then: "I've had a look at D before (back when it uh didn't really have a compiler?) and it certainly seemed like a huge breath of fresh air over C. But I really appreciate how effortless it feels to get something up and running in Python, and I feel like by now we should be able to preserve that without paying so dearly for it."

IMO, D has both an image problem and a visibility problem (both with a lot of inertia), and their synergy is driving people from all "factions" away.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any one "marketing push" or breakthrough that could possibly rectify this; it's going to be a thousand-cuts situation, where each panel, tech talk, or Cool Thing of the Week does a little more to dispel the pariah status (this YOW2015 talk I'm listening to right now is really entertaining).

-Wyatt