[1] The problem is that all these nice Python and R implementations are practically useless for real world applications. Too slow, too cumbersome, too many dependencies. It has to be rewritten anyway. (I'd be happy, if they used at least C.)

No, no, no. Your "real world" doesn't seem to include all the engineering industries. I work for an engineer company and use python everywhere for application code, and of course matlab-simulink for hard realtime code.

For us, Russel's comment on super structure is right on target.

- engineer.