On Friday, 20 March 2015 at 17:25:54 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 05:04:20PM +0000, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 13:28:45 +0000, Paulo  Pinto wrote:

> Given that I have been an IDE fan since the Amiga days, I > fully
> agree.
> > Every time I am on UNIX I feel like a time travel to the > days of
> yore.

being on non-nix system is a torture. there aren't even gcc, let alone
emacs/vim.

Yeah, I've become so accustomed to the speed of keyboard-based controls that every time I use my wife's Windows laptop, I feel so frustrated at the rodent dependence and its slowness that I want to throw the thing
out the window.

But at another level, it's not even about keyboard vs. rodent... it's about *scriptability*. It's about abstraction. Typing commands at the CLI, while on the surface looks so tedious, actually has a powerful
advantage:

clip

Ultimately, I think rodent-based UIs will go the way of the dinosaur.

While I may not share you optimism for the future, I do agree the CLI is almost always better:o)

One big advantage to CLI stuff is that when you come up against some tricky configuration, or rarely used command, you can write a little script (with comments) describing how to do it (and WHY you did it that way). Very handy for those tasks that you end up doing once every X months, and always forget the details of in between. How do you do that with a GUI? Make a video or open up OpenOffice/MS Word and start taking screen shots. Painful stuff.

Same goes for configuration files which beat GUI-based configuration hands down.

Having said all that having IDE-like, language aware, code-completion and background compilation, and a good debugger are a big plus for productivity in many cases.