"w0rp"  wrote in message news:leajtjgremulowqox...@forum.dlang.org...

I sometimes think DMD's memory should be... garbage collected. I used the forbidden phrase!

Seriously though, allocating a bunch of memory until you hit some maximum threshold, possibly configured, and freeing unreferenced memory at that point, pausing compilation while that happens? This is GC. I wonder if someone enterprising enough would be willing to try it out with DDMD by swapping malloc calls with calls to D's GC or something.

I've used D's GC with DDMD. It works*, but you're trading better memory usage for worse allocation speed. It's quite possible we could add a switch to ddmd to enable the GC.

* Well actually it currently segfaults, but not because of anything fundamentally wrong with the approach.

After switching to DDMD we will have a HUGE number of options readily available for reducing memory usage, such as using allocation-free range code and enabling the GC.