On Tuesday, 31 March 2015 at 03:58:33 UTC, zhmt wrote:
Especially working with fibers, ability to catch NullPointerException is more important. If a NullPointerException is caught , only one fiber terminates, otherwise, the whole server crashes.

If the server is something like webserver(stateless),multi-process is ok. But I am aiming to develope a mmorpg server, it is stateful, so it is not allowed to crash entirely.

Maybe the solution is to make use of a script engine (such as lua), but the benefit of choosing dlang is lost.

I argue that instead of catching NullPointerExceptions, you should make them never happen. This is where Option types come in. Rather than using T*, use an Option!T and force yourself to always check for null gracefully. Also use Some!T (a.k.a NotNull) and get classes and pointers which are verified via contracts that they are not null.

I have already implemented such a thing here.

https://w0rp.com/project/dstruct/dstruct/option/

If you don't like it, you can always implement a similar thing yourself.

Now at this point you might wish for this to gain some benefits from being a language feature. I think I will agree, but who knows if that will ever happen.