Stanley Steel wrote:
Walter Bright Wrote:
I've been interested in a long time in writing a D cgi application
that runs on the server and enables a reddit-like view of the n.g.
postings, as well as the usual n.g. nntp interface.

The current archiving stuff http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/announce/index.html
 is a step in that direction, but it is not interactive and doesn't
allow posting.

People would have two possible ways to interact with the n.g. -
through the standard NNTP interface using a normal newsreader, or
the reddit-style interactive web view. The latter would also allow
logged in users to vote + or -, have avatars, etc.

Just out of curiosity, do you or could you have a database running or
would you want to use flat files for data storage?

I see the 'database' as the NNTP message files, unmodified, so the NNTP news server runs unmodified and unmolested. The cgi app should create an additional database with the votes & avatars, etc., that is separate. The cgi app should 'post' to NNTP any new messages, and monitor the NNTP message files for new ones.