On Saturday, 4 April 2015 at 20:10:45 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 4/3/2015 9:41 AM, David Nadlinger wrote:
On Friday, 3 April 2015 at 15:07:57 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 4/3/15 3:10 AM, Andrea Fontana wrote:
It would be great to have dmd on embedded platforms.

I agree. We just don't have the champion for that yet. -- Andrei

I might obviously be biased, but to be honest I don't see much value in starting to port a largely obsolete backend to a whole new processor architecture.

It's not obsolete at all. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with it, or preventing new optimizations being added to it. After all, I didn't have trouble upgrading it from 16 to 32 bits, from 32 to 64, to Linux, to OSX, to SIMD, etc.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with it,

proprietary license hindering contributions and distribution, performs worse across the board against GDC/LDC in terms of optimized binaries, lack of manpower in comparison to LLVM/GCC that have massive corporation and educational backing.