On Wednesday, 15 April 2015 at 14:01:54 UTC, XavierAP wrote:
That list is small compared to the whole of available Python libraries, but what you can do with it is already enormously more than you can do with Phobos or CRT+STL. If D had half of it people would be using it...

Yes, it is the stuff you need for web programming. I assume they were selected based on user pressure. (numpy, lxml, PIL).

I think maybe a modular approach is better, to have different profiles:

1. foundational libraries (basic types)

2. architecture related libraries (embedded/cloud/desktop/mobile)

3. application level libraries (image processing etc)

Then you enforce dependencies in a way where lower level numbers don't depend on higher levels and give priority to the implementation of lower level (greater stability guarantees).