On 2009-10-11 14:19:52 -0400, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com> said:

Michel Fortin wrote:
It's not clear to me how much getting supplementary data from the compiler could help. If I only get what I can see through Ddoc, it's only half useful. I can already parse and get character ranges for the the high-level constructs (classes, tempaltes, functions, etc.). What will be harder is matching each symbol in function code to the correct definition because that depends on the context of the function and doing autocompletion for what you type depending on what's available in a given context.

I agree it's only half useful. But I think it's still a big win over zero useful.

Indeed. And it may be a perfect fit for other tools such as a documentation system that can do cross-references across modules, or... hum perhaps even runtime reflection? :-)

Also, can DMD accept D files from stdin? That way files wouldn't need to be saved on disk on each keystroke.

No, but it's a good idea.

Great.

--
Michel Fortin