On Tuesday, 5 May 2015 at 20:40:59 UTC, Luís Marques wrote:
Hi,

For a comparison with the Java language, I'm trying to come up with some good examples of custom types that should be value types (but that must be ref types in Java). I think the most obvious ones are numeric types. So BigNum, MyNum, etc. are good examples because programmers are used to numeric types being value types, and having them suddenly become a ref type just because it's MyNum instead of long is really annoying. Still, could you come up with some type that would really benefit from being a value type but that isn't numeric (or otherwise similar)?

Thanks for your help!

Luís

To add to what others have said - whenever you think you will benefit from stack-allocation. Read this article: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-jtp09275/ Java is good at escape analysis. But I find it really useful to be able to specify a type that will always be allocated on the stack (unless you really want it on the heap).