On Friday, 8 May 2015 at 14:00:01 UTC, Chris wrote:
On Friday, 8 May 2015 at 13:31:38 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
On Friday, 8 May 2015 at 08:45:07 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 5/8/2015 1:16 AM, "Ola Fosheim =?UTF-8?B?R3LDuHN0YWQi?= <ola.fosheim.grostad+dl...@gmail.com>" wrote:
And people don't pick a language because of a testing framework…

Which is why I need to point out just how productivity boosting -unittest and -cov are.

D unittests can be neat for simpler libraries, but they also make code harder to browse. Phobos source code clearly suffers from it.

So I'd rather have them separate and have testing-support built into the IDE instead. I find that cleaner as unit-tests are actually not part of the semantical language, just part of the D syntax...

You are probably right that people use them more when they are "shipped with the product", though. Whether you ship the compiler or a bundle (IDE).

I like unittests in phobos and other libraries, because they immediately show me how to use the code, and I like how simple it is:

dub --build=unittest

or

dmd myfile.d -unittest

Be honest, have you written unittests for each your Python scripts, for each of your command line tools? D makes it easy for you.

The only drawback is that sometimes the logic of a program does not allow to test every little bit, especially when handling files is concerned. But overall D in general makes me more "code aware" in many respects, be it performance, code hygiene or re-usability. And it helps that the compiler ships with a lot of flags that help me to analyze my code.

The funny thing is that people keep complaining about the lack of tools for D, and when a tool is built into the language they say "That tool shouldn't be part of the language". Yet, if it were omitted, people would say "Why doesn't D have this tool built in?". Human nature, I guess.