On 5/8/15 1:17 PM, deadalnix wrote:
On Friday, 8 May 2015 at 19:54:26 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
I don't know enough about TLS to argue but it strikes me as odd that
it would be slower than the layers of un-inlinable extern(C) calls,
going through lifetime.d, gc.d, gcx.d, there locking on a global
mutex, and allocating memory accordingly to a general-purpose GC (vs.
specialized allocator).

No it won't, but I'd like us to be compared to state of the art
allocator (jemalloc, java's G1 and so on) rather than the current thing
that we have that is universally recognized as being not good, to put it
nicely.

You want to compare yourself to what the best guy in town are doing, not
the drunk hobo wandering around.

Of course! I actually do think std.allocator is a net improvement over the state of the art. And if it isn't, we need to make it so. -- Andrei