On 11/10/2009 23:13, Walter Bright wrote:
Leandro Lucarella wrote:
Walter Bright, el 11 de octubre a las 02:38 me escribiste:
Lutger wrote:
What about file/line/column of the symbol? Is this much work /
hard work to add?
file/line of course, but I don't see a point to column.

See Clang error messages:
http://clang.llvm.org/diagnostics.html

That's *nice* =)

I agree, it looks good on paper.

In fact, I implemented it in the C and C++ compiler from the beginning
(1982 or so). It's still in dmc, try it - it'll print out the error
message, followed by the source text of the offending line, followed by
a ^ under where things went wrong.

Nobody cared.

Nobody has ever commented on it - and there have been hundreds of
thousands of users of it. No magazine review ever mentioned it. When I
mention it to people as "cool, look at this" they never respond. When
the conversation is about the quality of error messages, that feature
never comes up.

So I dropped it for dmd.

Nobody noticed.

Nobody asked why it was done for dmc, and not for dmd. Nobody asked for
it. Nothing. (Until now.)

So I am hard pressed to believe this is a worthwhile feature. There is a
cost to it in memory consumption and compiler execution time, so it's
not quite free.

You assume everyone who uses DMD also uses DMC which is not necessarily the case. More importantly, while this is a good feature, it is far better to have squiggly red lines in the IDE. I for one rely on those lines a lot.