Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:54:39 -0400, Chad J thusly wrote:

> Jeremie Pelletier wrote:
>
>> We can make programs that switch between GUI backends, most just don't
>> go in that direction. Its as easy as graphics engines having GL and DX
>> backends for their render system.

Web 2.0 toolkits are platform neutral. You can define your own GUI with
javascript & html & css. The interfaces (ajax, javascript, css, html,
xml) have all been standardized. The objects on the GUI also do not waste
low level handles like the traditional GUI toolkits do. I am sure that
more locally usable Web 2.0 desktop applications are coming in the next
few years.