On Monday, 1 June 2015 at 18:11:32 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Per http://erdani.com/d/downloads.daily.png, the 28-day moving average of daily dmd downloads is in pronounced decline following a peak at the 2.067 release. It is possible that the recent release of Rust 1.0 has caused that, shifting drive-by experimenters to it.

We need to act on this on multiple fronts.

1. It's a big bummer that nothing has happened with chopping up the videos over the weekend. Right now DConf is three 6-hour blobs of unstructured footage. John has warned us he might not have broadband access to do so during his travels. In retrospect, what we should have done was to immediately arrange that John gives access to the videos to someone willing and able to do the postprocessing.

2. It's an equally big bummer that "This Week in D" failed to be there on Sunday night. I completely understand Adam's overhead, what with his still traveling and all, but the bottom line is if it's not every Sunday it's not steady and if it's not steady it's not. Again, in retrospect it seems we need backup plans for when the protagonist of whatever important activity is unable to carry it. Who'd like to double Adam on this?

3. We've just had a good conference with solid content, but if our collective actions are to be interpreted, we did our best to be as stealth as possible. Please consider writing blogs, articles, tweets, posts, related to all that stuff. Speakers in particular should consider converting their good work into articles. Programmer news sites are full of Rust-related stuff; we must respond in kind with great D content.

All of us who have an interest in D to succeed must understand there is also a proportional sense of duty. If you can do X and don't, it can be safely assumed X will just not get done at all. Which means whatever you can do, please just do it, do it now, and stay with it until it's done.

Thanks,

Andrei

For me any language that can help reduce the amount of C like code that keeps getting written is good.

So I do cherish for all languages pursuing such goal.

Anyway, I was going to post something about IO, but it can wait.

Just did a short post to create awareness for the conference, slides and unedited videos availability.

--
Paulo