On 2 June 2015 at 18:28, extrawurst via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2 June 2015 at 08:23:08 UTC, Manu wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps of interest, I have been maintaining D support in Premake for
>> years (as an extension).
>> It was finally merged into mainline... so Premake now officially
>> supports D out-of-the-box. Huzzah!
>>
>> What is Premake I hear you ask?
>> It's a project gen, more-or-less like cmake and friends, except that
>> it's favoured by the gamedev industry, mainly because it better
>> expresses and supports multi-platform builds, and also supports
>> Windows environments much better than popular linux build solutions.
>> I also find it much easier and more concise to script and express my
>> build environment than cmake or alike.
>>
>> Premake can produce quality D makefiles, and it also has comprehensive
>> support for Visual Studio (VisualD), and MonoDevelop (Mono-D).
>> I use Premake extensively for cross-language builds, since it can
>> integrate C/C++ and D code very nicely.
>>
>> The recent dub discussions have made me start questioning how I might
>> integrate dub support...
>>
>> Curious to know if anyone here uses Premake, or cares...?
>

> I don't use it right now, but I came in contact with it already and like the
> concept - like you said it does not feel so alien on windows.
>
> Once I have the need to do cross language builds in my project I would like
> premake to have dub support, cause thats what I am using and what I guess
> everyone starting with D uses.
> So: support for that would be great ;)
>
> ~Stephan

Well, the thing about dub and premake, is that premake does heaps more
than dub does. In order to interact the languages and make them link
together properly, you need to describe enough about the projects to
premake, and by doing so, you give it enough information to have
premake spit out a makefile directly.

I imagine there's possibility to integrate support for using dub to
fetch and build dependencies, but for a project itself, I imagine it
would be kinda awkward since premake has far more control over the
build options than dub provides, also the premake build descriptions
cross projects, languages and platforms, and provide sufficient
information to link all the outputs together properly.