On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 01:59:57 -0400, Jeremie Pelletier <jerem...@gmail.com> wrote:

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
Jeremie Pelletier, el 12 de octubre a las 22:45 me escribiste:
I agree. Particularly about lent. Immutable and mutable weren't
considered complete without const, so I'm surprised that local and
shared are considered complete without lent. You can even
implement it without escape analysis. Strangely, from what I
remember of Bartosz's posts, it was unique that was the sticking
point, though you can implement both unique and owned as library
types (though they do become less efficient).
I may sound ignorant, but that does lent means? I mean the word
itself, I couldn't find something relevant on google.
 The terms "unique", "shared" and "lent" used here generaly refers to
the terms used by Bartoz Milewski in his blog[1].
 I think he defines lent in this particular blog post[2], but maybe you
might need to read a couple of posts more to understand everything.
 [1] http://bartoszmilewski.wordpress.com/
[2] http://bartoszmilewski.wordpress.com/2009/05/21/unique_ptr-how-unique-is-it/

I know of this article, he mentions the word but he doesn't say where it comes from.

My native language is french (I'm from Quebec, Canada), I don't know every word of the english dictionary. That's why I asked, I'm just curious as to what it meant.

I did some googling but I only landed on a religious page :/

I assume it means 'temporary shared' just like const is 'temporary immutable', but if i can make a link with the english language too its even better.

Oh. Yes Lent is a religious holiday, but it's also simple past tense and past participle of lend. ( From http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lent ) Apparently it's based off of lentus from French.