On Thursday, 11 June 2015 at 09:14:00 UTC, Chris wrote:
Now, now. It is true that bad and frustrating experience with other languages drove me (and probably others) to D.

Suggesting that a language like D is based on experience in comparison to Go is... not right... given the experienced language designers behind Go.

If experience is key, then Go wins.

People here often request features you can only ask for after years of programming experience. This shows that there is a lot of experience in the D community. Without experience D wouldn't be where it is, having only limited resources.

Language designers that design more than one language tend to make smaller and tighter languages as they gain design experience and get better at delegating nice-to-have-but-not-essential-features to libraries. Features have a higher cost than initial implementation.

Walter has been more open to feature suggestions than many other designers, and implemented them in a timely fashion, that is true. And that can be both a good thing and a bad thing, but obviously engaging and fun from a community point of view.

The process around Go is very closed. So not fun. Rust is inbetween.

Just trying to create the best tool possible for our own daily tasks.

Just like everybody else?

But we keep coming back. So it cannot be that bad ;)

;o)

Indeed, we never snob anyone, and they all snob us. Especially the ignorant C++ community that never mentions us.

Because this hurts some people. The D crowd doesn't snob other languages, in fact, people here often point at features of

I see jabs at other languages, especially the ones that is stealing attention from D: Rust, Go, C++… I guess it is all natural, but it can be perceived as "envy" by outsiders, and there is no advantage to it.

I really wish people would stop complaining about other languages having the same features as D without giving credit. It is impossible to figure out exactly where ideas from features come from, but most features predate even C++ if being first is the main point.

The hard part about designing an imperative language is not the individual features, the palette is given. The hard part is turning it into beautiful whole that is greater than the sum of the parts. And that is important, but difficult (or impossible) to achieve.

It is kinda like music, I sometimes create a melody that I feel I have heard something similar to, but I cannot pin it down to anything specific. So phrases of the melody might be things I have picked up. However, if we go for novelty the roots for musical elements might go 300 years back or more. Far beyond my knowledge horizon.

A month ago I made a poptune-sketch I kinda find catchy, but familiar. But which tune is it familiar to? Who should I credit? Maybe you can help me out?

https://soundcloud.com/bambinella/anad-dreamer-sketch