Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:16:01 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:
There's no chance of ambiguity because the parameter counts are different. Moreover, this scales to multiple indexes:

a[b1, b2, ..., bn] = c

gets rewritten as

a.opAddAssign(b1, b2, ..., bn, c)

I'm guessing you meant opAssign here, or meant to write +=?

Oh, sorry. I meant to write +=.

What do you think? I may be missing some important cases or threats.

It's simple, and gets rid of all opIndex operators except for opIndex itself.

The question then becomes, what if you wanted to overload this?

a[b][c] += d;

You can do a[b] returns a ref. But then you now allow a[b] op x, thereby possibly exposing a private piece of info. This may or may not be important.

I like the way your idea is going.

Great. Indeed the proposed solution leaves a[b][c] += d problematic, and also prevents this potential development:

a += b + c + d;

to be rewritten as:

a.opAddAssign(b, c, d);