On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 12:42:37 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On 6/12/15 8:29 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 12:21:12 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
Is your mom a software developer? If you spent $160 more and were able
to increase your salary 10x, wouldn't that be worth it?

10x? What sort of pipe dream is that?

OK, 2x, 1.5x. I have no frame of reference for what you can make as an iOS developer in your country. Where I live, I can make much more than 10x $160 per month. But if it increases your salary, it's worth investing in, no?

You said 10x salary increase, not 10x return on investment. I won't argue with that. But just owning a piece of hardware isn't going to *multiply* your existing income.

I guess that explains why so many programs with the same functionality are freeware on Windows and commercial on OSX. Open-source software
development gives me 0 income, so it'd be a negative net gain.

I don't agree with your statement, why would someone charge money on one platform and not on the other? Almost all apps from Apple are free for your Mac. Those that aren't generally have free alternatives.

Last time I looked there was a pretty big difference in the diversity and availability of 3rd-party software. Which makes sense considering also the much smaller user market share.

And I agree, doing open-source freeware development doesn't justify buying a computer of any kind.

What?

Here's the problem: if I own a PC, I can install Windows, Linux, FreeBSD etc. on it with no problems, or I can run any in a VM. I can do neither with OS X, I have to buy overpriced hardware from Apple to do that.