On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 04:51:29 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On 6/11/15 11:47 PM, Joakim wrote:
On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 02:13:26 UTC, Dan Olson wrote:
Looks like there is no membership fee to build and install your own iOS apps with Xcode now. As usual, you still need a Mac to run Xcode.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/10/xcode-7-allows-anyone-to-download-build-and-sideload-ios-apps-for-free/

Huh, that's crazy that they don't make the iOS toolchain available outside OS X. The Android toolchain is available for all three major desktop platforms. Still, good that at least you don't have to pay now.

You can develop for iOS on other platforms (I think not using objective-c or swift), but you cannot submit an app to the app store without Xcode.

Really, I don't see why Apple needs to care about other platforms -- it's their toolchain, their runtime. This makes things very easy for them support-wise, and people still line up to get iPhones, so the incentive to support other platforms isn't really there.

At dconf, I'd say at least 50% of the laptops were macs. They are good systems to use.

The cost is really minimal if you are serious. A Mac Mini costs $500 new, and you get Xcode free.

-Steve

The minimum wage in Portugal is around 400€ after taxes, with around 1000€ for many university degrees.

You can guess how many go out and buy a Mac.

--
Paulo