On Monday, 22 June 2015 at 04:12:29 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 6/21/15 8:43 PM, Tofu Ninja wrote:
On Monday, 22 June 2015 at 02:54:27 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
All good points. I think we need to accept that immutable objects must rely on the garbage collector; reference counting them is not accepted
in D's type system. -- Andrei

I am confused, what is wrong with having a mutable ref counted wrapper
type that can carry an immutable payload?

It doesn't compose - e.g. soon as you want to make an immutable list of lists it comes unglued. -- Andrei

Hmmm.... I see, I guess I understand better why this is a problem. Is there no way to do immutable container with mutable payload? Is there no way to stop the transitive nature of immutable/const? This seems like it would be a problem for any sort of container type, what sort of problems would happen if there was a way to stop transitive qualifiers from being applied to members?