On 06/23/2015 03:03 PM, ketmar wrote:
2. actually, we should drop that "progressive rendering". so-called "web
apps" already dropped that, drawing rotating shit icon instead while they
are loading megabytes of js. there is no sense to support progressive
rendering anymore: it's either not working completely with "modern web-
pages", or page looks like random jumping crap until it fully loads.

Hadn't thought of that before, but that's a good point. Plus, all that background loading and processing just borks the responsiveness of webpage to the point of being effectively-unusable anyway (and even the browser as a while, depending on browser. Mobile ones seem to be worse here.) I'd just as soon the browser do it's thing and get back to me whenever it's finally ready to show it and actually respond to my input events.

Progressive rendering made sense back when you could literally watch each image on the page gradually get pulled in over the wire (and when the layout more or less matched the HTML as it came in over-the-wire). But now it's mostly just a clunky user experience.