On 2015-07-25 18:47, Brandon Ragland wrote:
Hi All,

Not entirely certain if there is a decent D web applications server
implementation as of yet, but if there is a project going on, I'd love
to have a gander.

On the off-chance there isn't one, who would be interested in going at
it, call it, a 'group' project.

I've been yearning for a D web app server for a while, as most of my day
to day work is done on Java EE containers (think Glassfish, Weblogic,
etc. Java Beans, lalala) and the insane system usage has bothered me
from day one.

There's Wt for C++, although I don't see much coming from that, though
the concept is grand. Rust has a few up and coming web server frameworks
as well.

D could really excel here.

-Thoughts? Am I crazy (probably)?

Not crazy. I've been working towards exactly that as hard I could (see on https://github.com/etcimon/), seeing how D would be the best language to write any web backend with. I've since worked on writing all the architecture in D: a new TLS library Botan, along with libhttp2 for HTTP/2 support and an async event loop (TCP/UDP/FileSystem/FileWatcher/DNS/Timers) library.

I've written all the "glue" code to have it in the vibe.d framework and tested it as thoroughly as I could. I now consider it an achievement and use it in my web applications.

I'm currently concentrating on improving an async postgresql driver called DDB and adding transactions, Json, TLS, Listen/Notify, etc.

I think my next priority would be to rewrite the back-end of http://www.cosmocms.org with D and the vibe.web.web Web Interface, and Redis+Postgresql (sessions in redis). It's about 4k-5k LOC

I think a good and necessary library would be for cross-platform, async DNS. I've been looking at this one in particular: https://github.com/miekg/dns